Staples. Tried and true recipes. Fan favorites. Well this is one of those recipes that fits into all the above categories. My friend Kara blogged this recipe years ago and it quickly became something I make all year long. I love the simple prep, the amount of food it makes and how well received these burritos are.
Not only is this a great freezer meal, but it also serves as a wonderful camping food for those adventurous folks out there. This is my signature breakfast meal for our whole family when we camp. Since I wrap them in tin foil and freeze them, I can just take them along in a cooler and throw them over a fire to cook.
Of course these are a wonderful thing to share with a mama who is going to have a baby or just had one. It’s a perfect thing her family has to pop in the microwave on those very tiring mornings. Heaven knows that food is a love language so graciously spoken to a new mama! I made a big batch of these before each of my boys were born. This is also a great thing for my hubby to quickly warm up before headed off to work. It makes me feel like I contributed to the start of his day which I love.
Here’s how to make these breakfast burritos.
FREEZER MEAL BREAKFAST BURRITOS – Recipe from Kara P.
Yields 18-20 medium sized burritos
– 1 Pound Breakfast Sausage
-1 Green Pepper
– 1/2 cup Salsa
– 2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
-20 Tortillas ( I use medium sized)
-Salt & Pepper taste
Supplies for freezing: Tin foil, gallon size Ziploc bags, sharpie
Directions to prep:
1. Scramble 18 eggs. Season with salt and pepper and place in large mixing bowl.
2. Brown the breakfast sausage in the same pan. Add to mixing bowl with eggs and reserve grease in the pan.
3. Chop onion and green pepper. Sauté both in the grease from the sausage until they are tender. Approx 5 min on medium heat. Add to the mixing bowl.
4. Dice the tomato and add to the mixing bowl along with 1/2 cup salsa and shredded cheese. I use mild so my kids can still eat these, but if you like things spicy feel free to add hot salsa. Mix well.
5. Take a few tortillas at a time and microwave them for 30 seconds or so. This will make them more pliable and easier to wrap. Next, take a large scoop of the mixture and put it in a tortilla.
6. Fold the sides in.
7. Bring the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and the folded sides. Tuck it in tightly.
8. Roll the tortilla as tight as you can without ripping. For freezing- wrap each burrito in tin foil and place it in a gallon size ziploc. Write the cooking instructions below on the ziploc bag and you’re done!
Directions to cook:
(Best Results) Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 min
Wrap in a paper towel and microwave for a minute on each side.
A hearty, colorful and flavorful breakfast awaits! I love having something quick and easy to heat up that gives me the protein I need in the morning and a good serving of veggies too. I hope your family enjoys these as much as mine does. Please comment below if you have ever made these and if you have any fun variations you use for ingredients.