Myles is down for some shut eye so I thought I’d quickly sneak in and get a blog post done. I don’t know what the weather is like for you, but here it’s -50 wind chills so that means staying inside and eating warm comfort food. For me, soup is the ultimate comfort food. I tried out this recipe a few weeks ago and it was a hit in our house. Like everything else I post, I love a good easy recipe that doesn’t require hours of prep and slaving away in the kitchen. This recipe is great to have all frozen and ready to throw in your crockpot or simply make fresh the same day.
Crockpot Ham & Pea Soup- adapted from Food.com
– 1 (16 oz) package of dried split peas rinsed
– 2 cups diced ham
– 1 cup carrot diced
– 1/2 cup onion chopped
-1 cup celery chopped
– 2 cloves minced garlic
-1 bay leaf
-2 teaspoons parsley
-1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
– salt and pepper to taste
-1 1/2 quarts hot water
1. Rinse and sort the dried split peas.
2. Dice and chop ham and veggies.
3. In the crockpot, layer ingredients in the order listed above.
4. Pour in water and DO NOT STIR!
5. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
6. If desired, take an immersion blender to make soup more smooth or leave slightly chunky. Peas should be soft. Serve and enjoy!
1. Chop all veggies and ham.
2. Layer ingredients in opposite order in a freezer bag MINUS the peas and water.
3. When you go to cook: add your rinsed dried peas, contents of the freezer bag and then add water. Cook covered 8-10 hours on low.
Hope you are staying warm and safe this winter!
Emma (aka The Housewife and new parent)
And here is our 2 week old son…Myles Benson. We couldn’t be more in love with him. Blessed beyond measure and thanking God for this beautiful little life.